Jan 20, 2015

Concrete Jungle

 "What makes you feel beautiful?" A beautiful neon sign I found in the display window of a store while shopping in Soho


 Brunch in the City. Jack's Wife Freda really knows how to make drinking coffee cute.

 Cosmopolitans at The Plaza. Call me an adult Eloise...doesn't that just mean you should call me Carrie Bradshaw? Either way, The Plaza was so magical it completely made up for the ridiculous price of this drink. 

 A SNOWY NYC!! Ok. Ok I know that this makes most people grumpy, but give me a break I'm from Texas and I never see snow! So this was a cool experience for me, not so much for everyone walking to work though. 
 The Plaza. With the extravagant chandeliers, marble floors, indoor palm trees, and tea parties that included pink lemonade and cotton candy going on around me, let's just say my dad had to drag me out of the hotel. I did not want to leave. 
New York's sky line is truly breathtaking. Know I understand why everyone is so obsessed with this city.


I know what you are thinking, "What is this? There are no fashion in any of these photos, there aren't even any good scenic pictures, just a bunch of weird random photos." Are you thinking that? Maybe you aren't, but I sure am. This post isn't really up to my standards when it comes to photographic content, but it was an amazing trip so I wanted to share it with you. 

I was only in New York for one full day, It was a quick job interview trip (AHH I know), and traveling to and from was a complete nightmare filled with delayed flights and airport food. Even if I don't end up getting the job I interviewed for, it was a great learning experience, and it was worth every penny.

I always knew that I wanted to work in fashion. I always knew it was my calling. I am completely OK with spending all of my money on beautiful clothes and living off of eggs and smoothies because frozen fruit and eggs are the only two things I can afford with the $10 left in my bank out. I don't think that makes me materialistic, or maybe it does, I don't really care because being around fashion makes me happy. I can stand around in my closet all day styling outfits, and I don't mean to toot my own horn, but damn can I style a good outfit. I knew it was my calling when I went to college and majored in Journalism. The only time I was ever happy or enthusiastic about my classwork was when I was able to write about fashion. In my classes when I was able to pick my own topic to cover, I would stay up all night writing papers on Maison Martin Margiela masks or the brilliance of Alexander McQueen.

I always knew that fashion was what I had to do, and this trip to New York really sealed the deal. As I walked down the cobblestone streets alone in Soho, past Fendi and Rebecca Minkoff, and stopped in front of the black brick building that held the offices of the fashion magazine I was interviewing with, I knew that this was the place and industry that I belonged in. Even if I don't get this job, I will end up getting a job at another place in the fashion industry. Even if I don't end up in New York, I will end up in another major fashion city, or maybe I'll just create my own. This trip really sparked my dedication to this industry, which is exactly what I needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment